KSKQ Crowdfunding - Supporting Positive Change For Ourselves, Our Bioregion, Our Country & The Planet.
KSKQ is the Rogue Valley’s only independent, non-commercial, all-volunteer Community Radio Station. It was founded 13 years ago to be an alternative voice to corporation-controlled media. In fact the original inspiration for applying to the FCC to create the station came from people thirsting to hear “Democracy Now.” The airwaves are a public good. KSKQ was created to give the airwaves back to the people.
In this age of “fake news” independent media and free speech are key to saving Democracy. Community radio creates a local focus, builds community, promotes social and environmental justice issues, gives room to eclectic choices in music and connects the local community to the world by airing progressive syndicated programming. Though its programming, KSKQ encourages a healthy local economy which generates local jobs and creates stability and prosperity. Diverse music and talk shows represent a broad spectrum of age and cultural differences.
KSKQ began by streaming from a garage, then became a low-power FM radio station, broadcasting from behind a ridge to its city of origin, Ashland, Oregon. When the opportunity arose, it applied for and was granted a full-power license and now broadcasts at 89.5 FM and 94.1 FM to all of Jackson County from its main antenna, located on an old wooden fire tower, and a translator that beams the signal straight into the County’s most populous city, Medford. Its high-quality programming can be heard around the world on www.kskq.org. or via smart phone app. Each step of the way was obtained with the hard work and tenacity of volunteers and the support of compassionate professionals willing to donate their expertise—all on an amazingly low budget.
The station has sustained continual growth in the number and quality of locally produced programs. KSKQ makes the airwaves available to citizens, non-profits and local musicians through a variety of ways at the studio, and even broadcasts live from community events and performances.
Why are we seeking financial support through a crowd-funding campaign? We need $80,000. It’s time for KSKQ to take the next logical step towards meeting our mission and to assure sustainability—to hire (and pay!) an Executive Director. By definition, volunteers are pulled by many aspects of their lives. We need someone who can afford to focus solely on maintaining and strengthening the station by developing our fledgling news department, building community connections and finding creative and bountiful financial support. We need someone who can more effectively organize the diverse team of volunteers to maximize each person’s skill set. We must have a consistent, reliable, compensated person at the helm for the station to grow and thrive.
Getting back to the heart of the station: its volunteers
- KSKQ is an eclectic community of volunteers—programmers, office workers, Management Committee, fundraisers, technicians, computer experts and more--all adding their own flavor and voices to the fabric that is the station. We are a family of diverse individuals, each with his or her own unique cultural background, who have come together to form a community and culture of radio. There is no one sound or platform that defines us. We are many. We are in support of positive change for ourselves, our bioregion, our country and the planet.
- At KSKQ, we build and strengthen community through our efforts to reach out and create connectivity. By reminding people of upcoming events we connect teachers and students, entertainers and those who need to be entertained. We bring businesses and organizations into our station as underwriters and show guests. Underwriters link their websites to ours and guests use our archive to share their stories with their clients.
- We shine light onto aspects of our community that are lacking , like when there was nowhere for homeless people to go in the cold of winter we broadcasted the list of shelters that were available. We interview organizations that supply food, medical supplies and education to families struggling in poverty. We invite organizations to our shows that need to get the word out about the good local work they are doing.
- At KSKQ, we also shine light onto aspects of our community that are abundant and thriving. We interview farmers who are proud of their ability to feed families in our beautiful valley. Throughout the struggle to outlaw the growing of genetically modified foods in Jackson County, KSKQ was there with education and inspiration.
- We have an open door at KSKQ. We promote diversity by fostering an atmosphere of acceptance of all ages, cultures and genders. We make the airwaves available to all age groups, and ethnicities. We highlight programming that empowers women, LGTBQ people, youth. We play music from all genres.
- We promote social justice by featuring groups and speakers who work for social justice enabling them to get their messages out, which would not otherwise be heard on corporate media.
- We interview students who have gone out into the world to do good deeds and can share their stories of transformation to inspire the listeners. We feature local musicians on our shows so they can share their passion for music live in our studio.
- We connect people and ideas. Our talk shows share the stories of inspiring local organizations that are doing important work so that people who have something to give may connect and better serve the community or perhaps someone in need may find out about a service that exists to help them.
- KSKQ allows us to see and hear ourselves. We are very local. We are supported by local businesses. We have underwriters who are local businesses so we promote local commerce and a strong, sustainable local economy. Our shows feature people from our bioregion speaking about the issues in our bioregion.
- Our music shows offer a diverse flavor of sounds to soothe and inspire the listener. At KSKQ we play everything from rap to classical, from reggae to heavy metal. We also play the music of local musicians. We even remote-broadcast live music from the grower’s market and from our fundraising events. Whatever your musical tastes, we have something to titillate and inspire.
- Community Radio is the antidote for our modern, disconnected, sensational media. KSKQ is a lighthouse for the weary and confused traveller of corporate media. KSKQ can remind us to laugh, to open our hearts, and to put our shoulders to the task.
- At KSKQ you won’t be insulted with “fake news.” You can rest assured that you won’t be listening to an agenda that is backed by and manufactured for corporate interests. KSKQ is the people’s voice in the Rogue Valley and beyond. You will find no media censorship at KSKQ as we allow people to speak out against practices that harm our community.
Please subscribe below and we will let you know when we launch our Crowdfunding Campaign to fund KSKQ, so it will be around as long as independent media is crucial to Democracy and essential to Community!!